Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Sign Of The Apocolypse?


My friend, Katherine, (who like me, is all knowing and curious with Celebrity Fluff) informed me today that Vanity Fair Magazine just released it's 69th Annual International Best-Dressed List for 2008. This list is based on votes from its readers, who are supposedly high brow, right?

Tilda Swinton was on the list. Yes, Tilda Swinton.

Are you serious? Yes, unfortunately, Vanity Fair is very serious and it's not a joke. Of course, I wouldn't be laughing should the magazine have been attempting a bit of humour. This woman, actor, Scot, what have you, has about as much fashion sense as David Arquette and Diane Keaton combined.

I can applaud the choices of
Kate Middleton, whose subtle sophisticated style is reminiscent of her boyfriend's late mother, Diana, Princess of Wales. Or Michelle Obama, whose classy, yet chic, style is a much welcome throwback to the days of Jackie O and Camelot. Yet as I scroll through the rest of the list of names chosen I realize that there is seriously something wrong here.

Take, for example,
Iris Apfel, or Julian Schnabel . What is going on here? Have the readers of Vanity Fair lost their fashion mojo too? Is this a sign of the Apocolypse? Surely. But really, it's the choice of Tilda Swinton that truly boggles my mind and has me running for my Bible to read the book of Revelations. In case you need a reminder of Ms. Swinton's attempt at fashion, I refer you to one of my favorite sites, Go Fug Yourself, which has done such a wonderful job at keeping track of Swinton's fashion offender record, where if you keep scrolling down, you'll see multiple mug shots. Oh, and lest we forget the ginormous fashion faux-pas she made as not only a nominee, but a winner of the 2008 Academy Award for Best Actress. It was truly an insult to all of us who take Red Carpet fashion seriously.

The only saving grace is that not only did they recognize Middleton and Obama but they included some nice double-the-pleasure eye candy with brothers
Andrea and Pietro Clemente and another fraternal pair, Brothers Rafael, The Duke of Feria and Don Luis Medina. Maybe there's a glimmer of hope for VF readers. But it's doubtful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kate Middleton? Best dressed? Mediocre at best. I think they only put her just in case she does get the ring...which, if ever, won't be for a while yet.

"She seemed glad to see me.... and by watching her I began to think there was some skill involved in being a girl." - Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird